Laura – Head of Human Resources & Talent Acquisition
Name: Laura Gessler
Age: 31 years
Position at parcelLab: Head of Human Resources & Talent Acquisition
Originally from: Munich
1. Briefly tell us what your everyday working life at parcelLab looks like
On a normal working day, I review applications, give updates to candidates, conduct (telephone) interviews and search for suitable candidates for our open positions. In addition, I am also am available for all personnel-related questions from our team.
At parcelLab each day rarely looks the same .
2. Tell us about your professional career
After completing my studies, my first job in HR was at LH Munich and then in recruiting at BMW. These roles made it clear to me that HR was my passion. Next I worked in Career Development at the Boston Consulting Group.
As I had the desire to develop my career further within HR, I took on the role of Recruiting Coordinator at CEMA and was responsible for recruiting IT consultants.
After having my children and finishing my maternity leave, I came across the role at parcelLab and saw it as the ideal opportunity to transition into an all-round HR role.
3. What do you like most about parcelLab and your job?
I like the variety of tasks and that you are given the opportunity and the confidence from the founders to implement new aspects into the role so you can grow with it.
4. In your opinion, what makes parcelLab unique?
The people who work here and the team spirit. At parcelLab, everyone helps everyone, even if something does not fall within their area of responsibility.
5. What are the characteristics of the perfect parcelLab candidate?
There are a few very essential and important qualities: motivation, ambition, a good sense of humour, independence and creativity.
6. How would you describe the working atmosphere at parcelLab?
Dealing with parcelLab is always friendly, collegial and respectful.
7. What was your favourite moment at parcelLab so far? And why?
I don’t have a single favourite moment. There are many beautiful, small moments that make me happy – this can be positive feedback from applicants or colleagues, the success of hiring a good candidate, or simply a team lunch.
8. What qualities and strengths have you gained during your time at parcelLab?
During my time at parcelLab, I have gained an incredibly broad insight into a breadth of HR topics, which you certainly won’t get in many companies. Completely rebuilding processes and structures together with our founders not only develops you professionally, but also personally.
9. What challenges have you had to face during your time at parcelLab and how did you overcome them?
Whenever I am faced with a challenge, I always keep calm, even in stressful situations. With major challenges I try to get an overview of what is required first. In most cases, this forms a good basic framework, then you can calmly solve the problem.
10. What makes Munich so attractive for you?
The proximity to the mountains, the wide range of leisure activities, the good mix of tradition & modernity plus lots of greenery & water in the middle of the city. What more could you want?
11. How would you spend your perfect weekend?
With my husband and children in the mountains. In summer you can go hiking and in winter you can ski. Add good food and a visit to the swimming pool or spa and it’s perfect .
12. What three words would your colleagues use to describe you?
I would say: empathic, reliable & helpful.