Inside parcelLab: Interview with Sherine
Sherine El-Tarahony - Client Partnership Manager
Name: Sherine El-Tarahony
Age: 29 years
Position at parcelLab: Client Partnership Manager
Originally from: Alexandria, Egypt
1. Briefly tell us what your everyday working life at parcelLab looks like
Everyday is a different day full of fun, challenges and learnings. I am usually in the office around 9 and the first thing I do is have my tea or coffee and maybe biscuits if I am not avoiding sugar . After that, I start my day by checking my emails, then I jump on calls and have meetings with either clients or partners. I run all UK & International events which requires me to be super organised in managing and organising each one.
2. Tell us about your professional career
I have Textiles Engineering background. After my bachelor and master’s degree, I started working in sales, account management and marketing at different start-ups selling either hardware or software products. I then joined parcelLab in late 2018 as the first employee in London. Combining both my fashion background and sales experience has allowed me to build a solid career path that I am very proud of.
3. What do you like most about parcelLab and your job?
My job is so dynamic and I really appreciate the flexibility. I get to talk to really interesting people from top retailers around the world. I also enjoy working with the team; we work hard, exchange knowledge and have fun together. It’s really great environment.
4. In your opinion, what makes parcelLab unique?
I think the people are the company’s biggest asset. As well as this, the founders transparency in sharing information with the team and listening to everyone is a big plus.
5. What are the characteristics of the perfect parcelLab candidate?
Someone who’s really keen to develop themselves and wants to work with others will really make an impact. We look for people who are self-motivated, independent and share the company’s values.
6. How would you describe the working atmosphere at parcelLab?
The working atmosphere at parcelLab is very positive and full of fun. Being a start-up, it’s also challenging and exciting stuff is going on all the time.
7. What was your favourite moment at parcelLab so far? And why?
Since I was the first employee that parcelLab hired in the UK office, I have a lot of wonderful moments and memories but the two most remarkable are:
- When Tom and Angus then Katharine (2nd, 3rd and 4th employees) joined me in London and we started to build a proper team in London.
- When we started to close deals in the UK with very big retailers. This gave me huge confidence that our product is valuable and it’s going to work as well in the UK market as it does in Germany.
8. What qualities and strengths have you gained during your time at parcelLab?
When I joined parcelLab I was given the freedom to make big decisions which increased my self-confidence and my ability to take on more responsibilities. Also, I learnt that selling is more about listening to our customers and providing them with real value than turning them into product champions.
9. What challenges have you had to face during your time at parcelLab and how did you overcome them?
My first few months in London were challenging but the team in Munich were very supportive, visiting me from time to time. I completely overcame this when my lovely colleagues joined me in the London office though last January.
10. What makes London so attractive for you?
London is a very exciting city, there is a lot going on all the time. I moved here when I got married which made it very different. My husband is in the same exciting start-up journey himself, enabling us to share a lot while living in London and working in the same space. Also, London embraces diversity and different cultures enabling us to make friends from all over the world.
11. How would you spend your perfect weekend?
I’d say the perfect weekend would be with my husband, going out exploring new areas, meeting with friends and cooking very tasty food.
12. What three words would your colleagues use to describe you?
Smiley, energetic and bubbly !
Create new reasons for people to love your brand. Build standout post-sales experiences tailored to your customers. Deliver personalized touch points that grab attention and spark loyalty.