This year, we conducted a survey with more than 2,000 online shoppers in Germany. We asked questions about their online shopping behaviours and delivery expectations. Then, we analysed the data to create a study dedicated to Operations Experience from the customer’s point of view.
In this study, we identify the areas that online shops need to improve in order to meet and exceed customer expectations of Operations Experience. We compared our survey results with our findings in our E-Commerce Shipping Study 2020 to identify how retailers perform.
What are customer expectations of Operations Experience?
- Free shipping is highly favored: Our results found that 82% of online customers said they are likely to shop elsewhere when a retailer charges shipping costs, choosing instead to buy the same product from a retailer that offers free shipping.
- Post-sales updates are important: 68% of online customers want to be proactively informed by the retailer if there are delivery delays. 56% would like to receive a message as soon as their returns have arrived safely at the retailer’s warehouse.
- Customers like choosing their carrier: 71% of online customers would appreciate the chance to choose between different logistics providers when they shop online. This is because customers want to ensure that their carrier is reliable.
- Tracking is an expectation: 91% of online customers track their parcel. This is great Operations Experience, but also gives retailers an opportunity for cross- and up-selling.
- Packaging matters: 42% of online customers prefer to have their order shipped in an environmentally friendly recyclable box. One in four, however, do not care which packaging material a retailer uses.
Read our study now
This study is valuable to any online store hoping to improve customer satisfaction throughout their Operations Experience. Download the study now to find more survey results and our own expert insights. Read our advice for improving your Operations Experience and increasing customer satisfaction.